Israel’s defence minister says Gaza City could be destroyed

The gates of hell will soon open on Hamas in Gaza unless they agree to Israel’s conditions for ending the war, Katz wrote in a post on X.

News Desk
3 Min Read

Israel’s Defence Minister warned on Friday that Gaza City could face destruction unless Hamas accepts Israel’s terms, as the country prepares to expand its offensive in the area.

A day after Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced he would authorise a major military operation to seize Gaza City, Defence Minister Israel Katz cautioned that the enclave’s largest city could “turn into Rafah and Beit Hanoun,” both of which were reduced to rubble earlier in the war.

- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

“The gates of hell will soon open on Hamas in Gaza unless they agree to Israel’s conditions for ending the war,” Defence Minister Israel Katz wrote on X.

He reiterated Israel’s ceasefire demands: the release of all hostages and Hamas’ complete disarmament. While Hamas has said it is ready to release captives in exchange for ending the war, it rejects disarmament without the creation of a Palestinian state.

Israeli officials say a large-scale operation in Gaza City could begin within days. Gaza City is considered Hamas’ key military and governing stronghold, built above an extensive tunnel network. It is also home to hundreds of thousands of civilians and still houses critical infrastructure and health facilities.

Earlier this week, Hamas announced it had accepted a ceasefire proposal from Arab mediators, which, if agreed to by Israel, could avert the offensive. The plan involves a phased deal with hostage-prisoner exchanges, Israeli troop pullbacks, and talks for a longer-term truce. However, Israel has resisted such terms, citing internal divisions within Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s coalition and opposition from the right.

Concerns remain that an assault on Gaza City could endanger the lives of about 20 hostages still believed to be alive after the October 7, 2023 Hamas-led attack. Aid groups and world leaders have also warned that another offensive would deepen Gaza’s humanitarian crisis.

Evacuating civilians is expected to be extremely difficult, with many residents saying repeated displacement is meaningless since no area in Gaza is safe. Medical organisations have also warned that Israel’s calls to move patients south are unrealistic due to the lack of facilities there.

Prime Minister Netanyahu has insisted the offensive is necessary, saying it is the most certain way to both defeat Hamas and free the hostages.
“These two things — defeating Hamas and releasing all our hostages — go hand in hand,” he said on Thursday while visiting a military command centre in southern Israel. (Agencies)

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *