Government is making every effort to provide all possible assistance,” says Ladakh LG Kavinder Gupta on Kathua, Kishtwar cloudburst

News Desk
3 Min Read

After cloudbursts struck Kathua and Kishtwar, Ladakh Lieutenant Governor Kavinder Gupta said at least seven people had died in Kathua, while the death toll in Kishtwar continues to rise.

Gupta added that the government is making every possible effort to support the families of the victims. He said the Union Home Minister has directed officials to ensure there are no shortcomings in relief measures.

- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Speaking to ANI on Sunday, Gupta said, “Seven people have died in Kathua, and the death toll in Kishtwar is continuously going up. The government is trying to provide all possible help to the families of the deceased. The Union Home Minister has issued directives to ensure there are no shortcomings in relief and assistance efforts, and we are working towards that.”

Flash floods and landslides were reported in several parts of Kathua following the cloudburst on Sunday. Rescue operations have been intensified, and efforts are underway to clear stranded vehicles.

Officials confirmed that at least seven people lost their lives in a landslide triggered by heavy rain. The cloudburst in Kathua, which occurred on the intervening night of Saturday and Sunday, also damaged a railway track, the national highway, and the local police station. Relief and rescue operations are ongoing in both Kathua and Kishtwar.

Following the incidents, Union Home Minister Amit Shah said the Central government is closely monitoring the situation and assured all possible support.

In a post on X, Shah wrote: “Spoke with the Lieutenant Governor and Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir regarding the cloudburst in Kathua. Relief and rescue operations are being carried out by the local administration, and NDRF teams have also been rushed to the site. Assured of every support from the Modi government. We stand firmly behind our sisters and brothers of J&K.”

In Kishtwar, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Secretary Atal Dulloo on Sunday confirmed that 61 people have died in the cloudburst and flash floods, while 116 individuals have been rescued so far.

Addressing the media, Dulloo said, “Sixty-one people have lost their lives in the incident. Security forces and various agencies have launched a joint rescue operation. CISF, J&K Police, CRPF, BRO, Indian Army, and NHPC personnel were present at the spot immediately after the incident. Around 450 people are engaged in round-the-clock rescue operations, and 116 people have been rescued so far.”

CISF Deputy Inspector General (DIG) MK Yadav also said that rescue operations are continuing, and efforts are being made to trace and save those still missing. (Agencies)

Share This Article
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *